Equality Statement (September 2023)
Stone Bay School welcomes its duties under the equality act 2010. We are committed to promoting equality of opportunity, eliminating discrimination and harassment, valuing diversity and promoting positive relationships. We provide an inclusive education which enables all pupils to develop their full potential meeting the requirements of the Equality Act 2010.
We believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
This Equality Statement is concerned with all pupils’ access to the curriculum and the recruitment and opportunity of all staff.
The Equality Act of 2010 introduced a single Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED) that applies to schools and all public bodies.
In common with all public bodies, Stone Bay School will have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations across all characteristics, between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
In practise, due regard means that the governing body and the leadership team will:
- Be aware of the duty to have due regard when making decisions or taking action and will assess whether it may have implications for people with particular protected characteristics.
- It is unlawful to discriminate in the following areas, termed as protected characteristics: age, disability, gender, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
Aims and Objectives
- Ensure all staff work together with a shared sense of purpose to meet the needs of every pupil.
- Ensure that pupils and staff contribute towards a happy and caring environment by showing respect for and appreciations of one another and individuals.
- Ensure that complaints or evidence of failure to comply with the school’s Equality statement will be dealt with promptly and fully investigated according to the relevant procedure.
We seek to provide a broad, balanced and personalised curriculum to prepare pupils for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences for life beyond Stone Bay School. Furthermore, the school’s aim is to provide for all pupils according to their needs, irrespective of gender, ability or ethnic origin. The school seeks to ensure that the curriculum is not delivered in a discriminatory way.
- The school has achieved Rights Respecting Silver Award
- Equality is embedded throughout our curriculum intent and implementation
- We analyse pupil progress according to gender, deprivation and ethnicity to ensure that all pupils are making good / excellent progress
- Children from all ethnic backgrounds are called upon to express their view.
- Girls and boys have equal access to all areas of the curriculum.
Equality in Teaching and Learning.
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society.
- Encouraging pupils to respect the fundamental British Values of democracy.
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school population and local community without stereotyping.
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures.
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education.
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.